Saturday 1 June 2013

Get Well Soup


I don't know about you, but one of the things that I find makes me feel better when I'm under the weather is soup! As someone who suffers from ME/CFS, I often find myself with colds and sore throats, and as well as dosing up on vitamin C and drinking lots of ginger tea, I like to make a big batch of my Get Well Soup so I can keep it in the fridge and then just heat up a mug-full any time I need it!

Here's my basic recipe, you can really add whatever vegetables you like to this, but this is what I tend to use! 


Makes 5-6 portions

1Tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion
3 stalks of celery
1 large leek
5 carrots
1 punnet of mushrooms
As much garlic & ginger as you can handle!
1 can of white beans
1 1/2C mini pasta (how cute are these little stars?)
Boiling water
5 vegetable stock cubes
Seasonings to taste:
Braggs Liquid Aminos
Liquid Smoke
Pepper
Salt
Dried herbs (I used dill & thyme)

Start by chopping all of your veg into roughly the same sized pieces. 
Place a big pan with your oil in it over a high flame and fry your onions, celery and leek until softened and translucent. Finely chop your ginger and garlic (try to have a LOT of these two, as they are what will really help you feel better and fight off that cold!) and add to the pan. Sauté for a further 2-3mins, making sure not to allow the garlic to burn. Add your carrots and mushrooms and stir. Pour in enough water to cover all of the veg (you can add more as you go) and add the stock cubes and seasonings (if using). Cover the pan and simmer for 10-15mins, until the carrot is nearly soft enough to eat. Add the whole tin of beans, water and all, and your mini pasta (and extra water if necessary), cover and simmer on high for a further 10mins, until the pasta is cooked. 

Ladle spoonfuls into a big bowl or mug and top with a generous sprinkling of nutritional yeast (for extra flavor and goodness!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment