Thursday 18 September 2014

Vegan MoFo #14 - Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream


You scream, I scream, we all scream for Ice Cream!

I love Ice Cream, who doesn't! Since going vegan I've been disappointed with the lack of choice when it comes to ice cream flavors for vegans here in the UK. I've tried making my own ice cream before but have never been completely satisfied with the texture and taste when comparing it to the non-vegan ice creams of my past.

One of my lovely instagram followers asked me to come up with a recipe for ice cream that doesn't use cashews, and this ice cream turned out so good! I can't wait to create more flavors soon.

Creamy, smooth, sweet and minty - this Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream will be enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. 


Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream
Makes 2 pints

1 400g can full fat coconut milk
1 340g carton firm silken tofu
1C sugar
2tsp spinach powder or 1tsp natural green food coloring
3tsp American Mint Extract
100g dark chocolate chips

Put all of the ingredients other than the chocolate chips into a blender and blitz until completely smooth. 

Pour into a metal tin or plastic tub and place in the freezer for 45mins. After 45mins the edges of the mixture should have started to freeze. Scrape down the sides and whip the cream vigorously to break up all the ice particles. Return to the freezer and repeat the whipping process every 30mins for 2-3hrs until the ice cream is too thick to whip.

Fold in the dark chocolate chips and return to the freezer to set overnight.

Remove the ice cream from the freezer 10-15mins before you wish to serve it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, mint choc chip is one of my favourite ice cream flavours and I love that this is one that I could make without an ice cream machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome; this looks so good! I share Jojo's excitement that this doesn't require an ice cream machine! Yippee! :D

    ReplyDelete