Monday 29 September 2014

Vegan MoFo #22 - Pop Tarts


It's the last day of Vegan Month of Food! I've had such a great time blogging every weekday this month, and I'm so glad it's gotten me back in the swing of things after having a baby! Although I can't promise to continue posting every day, I will be posting recipes here often!

For my final Vegan MoFo post I thought I would make something really simple but super delicious! I don't know about you but I have always loved Pop Tarts. Maybe it's because as a child we only had them on special occasions like Birthdays, but there's something so fun about them! Sadly all of the iced Pop Tarts aren't suitable for vegans (they put gelatin in their icing - yuck!) and I just don't have time for an unfrosted Pop Tart.

They are actually really easy to make, and there are so many possibilities for different flavors! I was lazy and used store bought vegan shortcrust pastry, but feel free to make your own if you prefer.

I went with a classic Raspberry Pop Tart and then a Speculoos Pop Tart, as we all know how vegans love their speculoos!


Pop Tarts
Makes 8

2 sheets shortcrust pastry
4tsp, heaped raspberry jam
4tsp, heaped speculoos spread
Water

1 1/2C powdered sugar
1tsp, heaped crunchy speculoos spread
3tsp vegan sprinkles or colored sugar
2 lotus biscuits, crushed

Preheat the oven to 180. Line two baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
Remove the pastry from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature, this should take around 10mins. Unroll the pastry and cut each sheet into eight equal pieces.
Place four pieces of pastry on each baking tray and put one teaspoon of filling onto each piece, spreading it out but leaving a centimeter border around the edges. Use your finger to dampen the border with water and place the remaining eight pieces of pastry on top, pressing down slightly around the edges. 
Press a fork around the edges to secure the tarts and pierce twice on the top. Bake each batch for 15mins, until lightly golden and firm to the touch. 
Transfer to a wire rack to cool while you make the icings.

In a small bowl make the icing by gradually adding water to the powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time until a thick but spreadable icing forms. Separate into two bowls and mix the teaspoon of speculoos spread into one of them, adding a little more water to thin it down if necessary.

Spread the raspberry tarts with the plain icing and the speculoos tarts with the speculoos icing and top with a sprinkling of the toppings. Leave to set and then store in an airtight container for up to one week.

Note: I do not recommend heating these in a toaster, however if you wish to eat them warm you can either microwave them for 20 seconds or heat them under a grill/broiler for a minute or so.

1 comment:

  1. Those raspberry pop tarts look so perfect. I think I only ever tried an unfrosted pop tart once and I know I liked it!

    ReplyDelete