Thursday 9 October 2014

Chai Pumpkin Oatmeal//Rebel Kitchen Review


I was recently send a box of goodies from the kind folks over at Rebel Kitchen and was very excited to try their mylks! I had previously tried their Orange Choc Mylk but none of the others so was very much looking forward to tasting all the other flavors.

Rebel Kitchen are fighting refined sugar by producing delicious coconut mylks in various flavors made with natural and nutritious ingredients such as date nectar, fruit and cacao. They make drinks for kids and adults alike and can be found in supermarkets throughout the UK and online.


I opted to try the adult mylks first, I am an adult after all! These come in bigger cartons and have screw-top lids so you can transport them easily without spillage.

The Matcha Green Tea Mylk is delicious! I was slightly disappointed that it isn't actually green (I do love the bright color matcha powder tends to give things) but the mylk is sweet and tasty and a great source for a breakfast drink for on-the-go.

The Chocolate Mylk is seductively rich and dark, with a nice strong cacao flavor. The date nectar really brings out the sweetness in the chocolate, this would be great blended into smoothies with banana and peanut butter!

The Chai Mylk is beautifully sweet and spicy. I found this mylk to be a bit of a strong flavor so preferred it mixed into almond milk for a subtler chai taste. I loved it in my Chai Pumpkin Oatmeal, perfect for chilly autumn mornings!


Next I tried the kids mylks! These come in little cartons with straws and would be just perfect for school lunchboxes! I will definitely be buying some when Hal starts school.

The Choco Mylk is deliciously sweet, a lovely chocolate milkshake.

The Orange Choc Mylk is amazing - I love Chocolate Orange flavored anything, and although the flavor is subtler than the others, it's really satisfying!

The Banana Mylk is lovely, you can really taste the fresh crushed banana! I would love to blend this up with some frozen bananas to make some yummy soft serve in the summer!


My favorite flavors were definitely the Matcha Green Tea Mylk and the Orange Choc Mylk! I could drink these all day long!


As a side note, I particularly like Rebel Kitchen's packaging! It's hilarious!


This Chai Pumpkin Oatmeal is perfect for a cold autumn morning, especially if you were up at 5am like I was! (Oh the joys of parenting!) Sweet and spicy, topped with caramelized pear slices and chopped pecan nuts this breakfast will warm up any cold day.

Chai Pumpkin Oatmeal 
Serves 1

1/2C whole rolled oats
1/2C Rebel Kitchen Chai Mylk
1/2C almond milk
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp nutmeg

1/2 a pear, cut into thick slices
1Tbsp maple syrup

2tsp chopped pecans

Put the oats, milks and spices into a small saucepan and mix until well combined. Simmer over a medium heat, stirring often until the oatmeal has thickened and some of the liquid has been absorbed (about 10mins)

Place a frying pan over a high heat and add the maple syrup. Place the pear slices in an even layer and cook until slightly browned on that side, around 3mins. Turn over and cook for a further minute to brown the other side. 

Serve your oatmeal topped with the caramelized pear slices and sprinkled with the chopped pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment